Sunday, July 19, 2009

Man Hands and Lil Eggs

This past week was really amazing. I went to the Ypsilanti farm market and got some great stuff. The people were all very nice and full of information. I left with a variety of foods and a couple really funny stories...

While looking at a lg bag of the small golden potatoes for $1.00 I asked the little old lady who must of been about 75yrs. old where they came from. She informed me that she picked them from her small farm right there in Ypsilanti. She then proceeded to tell me they were picked by her just the night before. Right after that statement she reached her hands out to me and showed me her hands. It was straight out of a Jerry Seinfled episode. Such a small cute lady with MAN HANDS! They were large and dirty with years of dirt deep within them. She said,"Honey you don't get these hands without picking the goods yourself."

As I strolled down through the market I met another interesting fellow. He was selling EGGS. However the chicken eggs were already gone :( But that didn't stop him from telling me about his OTHER EGGS. Quail eggs. For $3.00 I bought a dozen. When I got home I did a google search on Quail eggs. The next day I decided to fry them up in a lil Calders butter. They were really pretty good. So small that I broke them with a steak knife!!! The size of the yolk was about the same as a dime!!!! The kids loved seeing them cooking in the pan. I'll tell you the conversation was flowing at our table that morning!!! :)

Before I left the market I also picked up an amazing cantaloupe for $2.00 and some radishes for $1.00. The Michigan veggies are really bountiful right now. I recommend a visit and stock up.

July Veggies include:
Broccoli, beans, cauliflower, cucumbers, zucchini, tomatoes, potatoes, sweet corn, summer squash and beets

Before I forget to mention it let me also tell you about the Taylor Wednesday Farm Market. Michigan Cherries are mid season right now. There were a couple farmers there with great prices. Absolutely delicious. In fact my kids ate a pint of them before we even got home!

No comments:

Post a Comment